Sunday 18 January 2015

Card No. 2 - Try A New Sport. Done (Sort of!)

So... I'm now two weeks into my 52 week challenge. This week was a pretty easy one on paper. All I had to do was try a new sport. Pssst, that's easy. Or so I thought! As per usual, I underestimated that life (and work especially!) has a sneaky habit of getting in the way of the best laid plans!

Monday turned into Thursday, which soon became Saturday, without a single new sport tried. I'd investigated a tonne of them but never got around to organising something definitive. So I did what most people in that position would do!... I panicked! 

I had a conversation during the week with someone who is involved in a particular sport that I'd absolutely love to try. It's not something that you come across on a local playing most days of the week and unfortunately it didn't end up happening this week. I'd go so far as to say that taking part might even change my outlook on life. I don't know when it will happen but I'll be sure to write a few words about it here when it does.

Even though a few things fell through, I resolved to honour my commitment to posting something every Sunday. I've also promised myself that trying new sports and activities isn't going to be limited to one week. I want to continue it during the entire year and hopefully discover some new things outside of swimming, cycling and attempting to go to the gym. Surfing is pretty high on that list and I have unfinished business with a stand up paddleboard too!

Having resigned myself to not doing my sport of choice this week, I began looking for an alternative! Little did I know that my answer would involve a domestic appliance! Extreme Ironing started in England in 1997 and if you question it's position at the table of extreme sports then I suggest you take it up with the 'Extreme Ironing Bureau' or 'Extreme Ironing International'! It's even got a Wikipedia page so it must be legit!!

Having studiously glanced over the rules for extreme ironing I decided it was the 'extreme sport' for me. So with the help of my incredulous assistant Eimear, I grabbed the ironing board and headed off. Ye can judge the results for yerselves!!







I've concluded that I must have several screws loose!!

Week 2 is done and dusted but I've more sports to add to this particular chapter before the year is out.

Card 3 of many has been pulled from the deck,
It could be a beauty or it could be a wreck.
It's one I'll enjoy and it shan't be a curse,
By this time next week I must coin some new verse.

To write a poem is then!


 










 



No comments:

Post a Comment